Saturday, April 16, 2016

Randomness Because I Was in Flagstaff

Hello!
Another post! Oh my!

So like I said in the last post, I was in Flagstaff this past week, so I didn't make much progress on the project. But I did get to compare school life with research life. Being a school girl is easier than being a researcher. But this research project has helped me think a little more about math. As a researcher, when it comes to math, you have to figure out everything on your own (there's no answer book to the universe), so you get used to checking your answer and trying to figure things out on your own. Now, this comes much more naturally to me in math class when I'm doing my homework. I did this before the research project, too, but now, I just do it.

Some advice from Dr. Zanolin: it is better to understand things deeply rather than quickly. If you have the choice to speed through a class and learn all the required material or take your time and learn all the required material plus some extra background and depth, go for the latter choice. This may be applicable to some of us who have tons of AP credits and can skip tons of classes. Maybe instead of finishing undergrad in three years, spend your extra free time (a years worth of free time) focusing on a research project or some other cause you care about. That is much more rewarding and probably looks better to graduate schools (if you're into that academia life) than skipping a year.

Ok, that was my random blurb for this week.

Here's a puzzle Dr. Zanolin emailed the group today! I still need to think about it. See if you can figure it out!
Can anybody  tell me why, in a party, the number of people
who happen to try an odd number of dancing partners, is always even?

Alright, time to get out of bed. Ciao!
Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment